Wednesday, January 21, 2009

"So what are you going to do when you graduate?"

Lauren, our Web 2.0 marketing intern, addresses the looming challenge of life after graduation.

The question of what I’ll do when I graduate still stands unknown. Getting experience through internships however, has provided me with opportunities that help me narrow down my preferences in the career field. Internships allow for one to get an inside scoop on a career in any given field they desire as well as apply knowledge learned in school to real world situations. They also help students acquire work experience that can be transferred over to future jobs. Most important to me however, is that internships allow for students to form a better idea on their likes and dislikes of a particular career.

I chose to take a marketing internship with The Rainmaker Network for various reasons. As my senior year is coming to an end, I know and understand the pressure many students feel to find a job. Having the opportunity to intern for a company that helps students like myself connect with great well known companies is very rewarding. The Rainmaker Network emphasizes that your GPA does not make a person who they are. It is the well-roundedness and ability to adapt to any new situation that will take you far in life. Sharing this mission with other students not only helps others, but myself as well, to diminish fears that overwhelm us as graduation approaches.

Also appealing to me is the idea that The Rainmaker Network has an eco-conscious mission. They are committed to making the world a better place by reducing the carbon footprint many companies and potential candidates leave through initial hiring efforts. This idea is furthered through the partners and companies The Rainmaker Network chooses to work with. I believe that creating eco-conscious environments is incredibly important for all aspects of our lives. Even though I am still unsure of where I’ll be when I graduate, and the question of what I want to do with my life still stands unknown, working for a company so passionate about helping others as well as our environment makes me want to continue keeping these elements in mind no matter what field I end up in.

Lauren (@lkmiller1014) can be found a few blocks away from the beach on sunny days.

0 comments:

Blog Archive

Labels