Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Green City, USA


All over the world towns are doing things to be more “green”. Have you ever wondered which city is the greenest of all? The greenest town in America is Greensburg, Kansas. When I was thumbing through the paper a few Sundays ago I found this article on the town itself and all the outstanding green concepts that this town is making a reality. The town of Greensburg was flattened on May 4, 2007 by one of the strongest tornadoes with winds of 205 mph and a 1.7 mile wide footprint. When the townspeople gathered together to construct a plan to rebuild the town they structured their plan around energy efficiency and sustainable development. This brand new city educated and encouraged the community to rebuild homes as energy efficient as possible. The city created a dozen “eco-homes” to showcase the cutting-edge sustainable design to the community members. These homes consisted of energy efficient windows and appliances, better insulation, fuel-efficient heating and low-flow toilets. The city is slowly coming back to life day by day; they are in the process of building a school with geothermal heating, a wind turbine for electricity and hydrogen fuel cells for backup power. What amazed me when reading through the article was the large amount of money this town is receiving from our government. For example, the school they are building is costing $49.4 million but about $29 million is coming from federal funds and the balance from local taxpayers. I think it is encouraging to hear that the government is placing some of it's funds into eco-friendly living. This article also encouraged me to do small things around my own house to be more energy efficient such as: using energy efficient light bulbs, turning my computer off completely when I am not using it, turning off lights when leaving a room, washing clothes in cold water, taking shorter showers and using power strips. I know that I cannot rebuild a city myself so I figure I will do as much as I can as an individual as well as encourage family and friends to do the same. If we all do a little bit, that little bit will change the world one step at a time!

0 comments:

Blog Archive

Labels