Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Out with the old, In with the new

When applying for jobs and getting in touch with companies there is one thing that sticks out in my mind; take the time to show companies you care and are interested!

Thinking this to be pretty sound advice I received in college, I put it into action. I hunted down some addresses, like my own version of CSI. I discovered who to contact in HR, where I could find them and the floor where HR was located. The only problem that remained after I found the building was….Security.

This was a recurring theme with a few large companies (that I desperately wanted to visit!) but, sadly I kept getting the same response from the security at the front desk: “You have to have a meeting”, “Email your resume to HR”, or “Your name is not on the list.”

All that hard detective work and no results. I realized that there are some old rules in the job force that still work like for instance, send a hand written thank you note and make sure you arrive on time. But, showing up with resume in hand, is no longer the way it works. In our day and age the computer seems to be rising in popularity for point of contact. So sit back down and apply to as many jobs as possible and then keep contacting your dream company until you get to talk to them!

Persistence is still the key, it is just changing forms.




0 comments:

Blog Archive

Labels