Thursday, April 23, 2009

Students Travel for a Higher Purpose

April 23, 2009

Hello my name is Allison Commentz, and I'm new to The Rainmaker Network staff. My new position for the Rainmaker Network is the Special Events Coordinator. I have a background in Recreation and Leisure Studies and I am excited to put my studies to work. I will be bringing you frequent updates on travel, leisure, and all the good things in life...and how to do it as green as possible!

Students travel all over the world while working on their education for a variety of different reasons; some students travel to experience a new culture, some to build their resumes, some to fulfill course requirements, some to build relationships and expand their network. But students usually have one common element when they are traveling; they are traveling for a higher purpose.

Today when students travel they want more then what meets the eye. The student population desires a bigger personal fulfillment beyond just seeing a new place in the world. As a student traveler myself, I would say that students over all like doing things to help others while they are traveling. When students reach out during their travels it enriches and develops their experience. Not only do the cultures and people benefiting from the students helping hands but the students benefit by making deeper connections to the cities they travel to. When students Go Philanthropic (change the way they see the world), they are leaving a positive footprint for the rest of the world to discover. Students can look back on their travels and know that they made a difference in that cultural community whether it was by bringing school supplies for deprived children, purchasing souvenirs from the local people, or staying with a local family in their home over a hotel chain who’s money leaks back to the original outside corporations.
One way to expand philanthropic travel even more is by educating students before they travel anywhere. Educate them on the different things they can do for that specific country they are traveling to and tell the students the benefits of philanthropic travel and what a huge difference they can make today. Students are more aware of their impact on the environment than most other dimensions of travel therefore, they are willing to take the time while they travel and give to others and make that positive footprint.

So when you plan on traveling, travel in a philanthropic way!

Special Thanks to Val Vanderpool at Sustainable Travel International read more about them at http://www.sustainabletravelinternational.org/
For more information about Go Philanthropic visit http://www.gophilanthropic.com/

1 comments:

Amara Poolswasdi said...

I had some wonderful experiences traveling abroad during college. I completed a dynamic internship with a sister university in Thailand (my parents' homeland) and spent some of my time volunteering at a rural elementary school.

My travels between Thailand and the US help broaden my perspective on things and ideas that are bigger than myself: homelessness, poverty, strength and determination.

I hope to travel abroad again soon. I'd love to go back to that school and see how the children have progressed!

Here's a photo of an English seminar I held for the third and fourth graders. I'm in the back row! >> http://tinyurl.com/d3tog6

Blog Archive

Labels