Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Road Trip

There are so many options for going abroad, whether for a semester, a full year, or short term during winter or summer break. The locations are enticing-- who wouldn't want to go to Argentina, Spain, or Taiwan? I felt I'd be doing myself and my wallet a disservice if I didn't take time to explore a country within reach for a much cheaper price right here in the US!

I embarked on an adventure to the Study Abroad office during one of my breaks to see if there was any information on studying "within." Just when I almost gave up, I found a flimsy pamphlet that mentioned 3 words: backpacking, USA, and Canada. Canada isn't of much interest to me, and neither is backpacking, but the USA appeals to me!

It turns out that exploring the US is much more affordable than I imagined, and pretty green too! If you use public transit like Greyhound or Amtrak, you can explore so many cities for a reduced price! Even plane tickets for students are within most college budgets.

Greyhound and Amtrak have reduced student rates, and a website called Student Universe sells plane tickets for less. Stay in themed hostels around the country, and you have yourself a road trip! Maybe I'll bump into you during the summer.

0 comments:

Blog Archive

Labels